The ICE GENESIS project is being carried out by a consortium (led by AIRBUS OPERATION SAS) made up of 36 EU and non-EU partners from 10 countries (France, Austria, Italy, UK, Germany, Belgium, Switzerland, Russia, Canada and Japan).
Each ICE GENESIS partner offers the multi-disciplinary expertise which is required in order to impact the aeronautical sector and to provide the expertise needed to meet the expectations from the participants, the industry and the European Commission.
CAO is reponsible for investigations of atmosphere in the following areas:
• Thermodynamic structure and conditions of atmosphere with using radiosondes, aircraft-laboratory:
• Cloud physics (microphysical structure of clouds, thermodynamic and turbulence in clouds of different types with using aircrat-laboratory);
• Weather modification (clouds modification);
• Radar measurements of clouds and precipitations with using ground-based radars;
• Gases and aerosol distribution in atmosphere.
CAO will take part to the following activities under WP4, WP5 and WP6
• Investigation of conditions of aircraft icing in clouds and percipitations with using Russian aircraft-laboratory Yak-42D “Roshydromet” (data on wind speed, air temperature, dew-point temperature, liquid and total water contents in clouds and precipitation, concentrations and spectra of sizes of cloud and precipitation droplets and crystals, images of particles).
• Testing of icing sensors in real flight conditions using Russian aircraft-laboratory Yak-42D “Roshydromet”.
• Investigations of particle in wind tunnel with supercooled flow.