The ICE GENESIS project is being carried out by a consortium (led by AIRBUS OPERATION SAS) made up of 36 EU and non-EU partners from 10 countries (France, Austria, Italy, UK, Germany, Belgium, Switzerland, Russia, Canada and Japan).
Each ICE GENESIS partner offers the multi-disciplinary expertise which is required in order to impact the aeronautical sector and to provide the expertise needed to meet the expectations from the participants, the industry and the European Commission.
The Central Aerohydrodynamic Institute (TsAGI) named after prof. N/E/ Zhukovsky is one of the largest scientific research centres in the world. During 90 years it has gained a unique experience of fundamental research and applied investigations on aerodynamics, hydrodynamics, aeroelasticity, flight dynamics, strength, acoustics, etc. TSAGI test facilities include a complex of wind tunnels and gas dynamic research installations, static and dynamic strength labs, thermal strength and acoustics chambers, propulsion system and compressor test benches. During its distinguished history TSAGI has developed new aerodynamic configurations, aircraft stability/controllability criteria, and strength requirements. TsAGI was a pioneer in the theory of flutter, divergence and reversal of control along with many other theories, applications and experimental studies.
TSAGI will take part to the following activities:
WP3: Development of specifications and test matrixes for App. C, App. O and snow tests conditions,
• WP4: Instrumentation assessment and development for PSD, LWC, droplet temperature measurements, cloud homogeneity characterization, development of the system for 3D-scanning of ice shapes,
• WP5: Instrumentation assessment and selection for IWT calibration for snow, participation in the Airborne Measurements of snow crystal populations
• WP6: TSAGI IWTs EU-1 and AHT SD icing envelope improvement for SLD conditions
• WP7: TSAGI IWTs EU-1 and AHT SD icing envelope improvement for snow conditions
• WP8: IWT tests performing for liquid droplets icing conditions; IWT tests performing for snow icing conditions; Experimental database creation for liquid droplets and snow icing conditions
• WP9: Basic experiments to provide missing data for model development for liquid droplets icing conditions, models improvement and implementation in 2D tools for calibration and preliminary validation
• WP10: Basic experiments to provide missing data for model development for snow icing conditions, models improvement and implementation in 2D tools for calibration and preliminary validation
• WP11: Numerical tools validation in industrial environment